In the Spring of 2018, Library and Technology Services (LTS) engaged an external consultant company, MOR Associates, to perform an independent assessment of client satisfaction for the services provided by LTS.
Results Summary, with notable improvements since the 2016 survey
The MOR Associate consultant, Christopher Paquette, provided this summary analysis of the results:
“As we wrote in 2016, we would typically define 4.75 as a high score when using a six-point scale, and at that time the average rating for all LTS survey questions with 30 or more responses was 4.98. In 2018, that same average rose to 5.07. As a point of direct comparison, in a similar survey at Stanford conducted in 2017 their average rating was 4.79.
This broad improvement was reflected in the scores for a wide variety of individual services and tools. Of the 66 items that were asked about in 2016 and 2018, 57 of them received higher ratings, and 38 of those increased statistically significantly.
Nine items decreased, four of them statistically significantly.”
The full results of the survey with open-ended comments omitted are available (login required). For convenience, some of the key elements of the survey analysis are:
- Overall response rate increased from 29% to 41% with all cohorts exceeding their target response rates
- Mean rating across all questions improved from 4.98 in 2016 to 5.07 in 2018.
- Every "LTS Overall" measures (11 in number) showed statistically significant improvement
- Of the 66 items that were asked in 2016 and 2018, 57 of them received higher ratings, and 38 of those were statistically significant.
LTS Actions since the Spring 2018 Satisfaction Survey
- Next generation wireless network architecture currently being deployed at all university student housing. As of fall 2018, all university student housing has new wireless with the exception of fraternities, sororities and Brodhead House, with those locations expected to be completed summer of 2019.
- Increased outdoor wireless coverage and capacity at all three campuses, and provided complete wireless coverage for Drown Hall.
- LUapps was fully deployed in fall, 2018. The new service improves access to licensed software in a virtualized environment, making it possible to run software any time, anywhere, and on any device.
- LTS extended weekend hours at the EWFM Library and opened the EWFM Computing Center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during fall and spring semesters. Study spaces on three floors of the EWFM Library were renovated and modernized in the summer of 2018, and eight new study nooks were added on the sixth floor, south.
- A new discovery layer improves search and access to scholarly articles through the library catalog, ASA, providing users a one search box interface to find print and electronic books, media, and articles. For faculty and staff, the libraries provide office delivery of interlibrary loan materials. For students, faculty, and staff the libraries are ordering new titles based on users' needs and, if possible, providing immediate access to the titles if they are available electronically.
- Promoted Zoom, a versatile video conferencing and recording alternative to Skype; improved training and workshops in data/geospatial visualization, website, and audio and video production.
Next Steps for LTS
LTS has already started to take actions based on the survey results by targeting areas that need improvement. While we are still formulating an organization wide plan, some steps are already being taken to address relative weaknesses:
- To improve searching and discovery of help documentation, LTS is presently developing a unified and searchable knowledge base of system and service guides and instructions. A spring 2019 rollout is anticipated.
- Focus groups will be held in the fall to understand more fully student needs and concerns. In addition, LTS plans to create video versions of popular training by spring 2019.
- Increasing outreach to clients on all college teams.
- Plans for addressing these areas are forthcoming: Course Site; classroom technology; and LTS Web services.
Check back here for updates on continuous improvements to LTS services and tools as they become available.