Deconstructing Data: Exploring Data Literacy in Higher Education
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
This event will bring together Lehigh Valley faculty, librarians, and other educators invested in teaching students to think, research, and engage critically with data.
Though data can be a solid base for decisions, policies, and knowledge, examples abound of data manipulation or misuse, whether unwittingly or for nefarious purposes. As our world is increasingly data-driven and data-ridden, it is vital that students learn to parse and work confidently with data, both quantitative and qualitative.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
We seek proposals for presentations that reveal successes and challenges in data literacy teaching and learning, and that inspire intercampus dialog about our future data literacy teaching practices.
Proposal Deadline: Friday, March 22, 2019
Themes may include, for example, but are not limited to:
- Pedagogy and assignments that illustrate a discipline-specific perspective on data literacy
- A social justice lens on data access, production, value, and dissemination
- Data and privacy
- Data literacy as a tool for community engagement
- Learner-centered inquiry - students as collaborators and knowledge creators
- Bringing hypothetical scenarios, service learning, fieldwork, or lived experiences into data literacy teaching and learning
- Preparing students for civic or professional data literacy needs
- Ethical production of data and data management
- Visualization of data
- Data mining and statistical analysis as problem-solving tools
Proposals from faculty, librarians, and/or other educators in all disciplines and levels welcome!
Proposals must include the following information:
- Presentation title
- Names, affiliations, positions, and email addresses of the presenters
- A 200-500 word summary of the topic you wish to present, including the points you intend to make and the way(s) you intend to engage the audience.
Proposals with active learning components are encouraged.
To propose a session, please complete the Deconstructing Data proposal submission form.
Proposal deadline: March 22, 2019
For further information, please visit the LVAIC information literacy website or contact a member of the LVAIC Information Literacy Learning Community Planning Team:
Carrie Baldwin-SoRelle, Lehigh University, email@example.com
Kelly Cannon, Muhlenberg College, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Demyan, Moravian College, email@example.com
Jess Denke, Muhlenberg College, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rachel Hamelers, Muhlenberg College, email@example.com
Jasmine Woodson, Lehigh University, firstname.lastname@example.org
The LVAIC Information Literacy Symposium is funded by the Lehigh Valley Association of Independent Colleges (LVAIC).