A high volume of work-from-home/remote job scam emails are being sent to student, faculty, and staff accounts. We're receiving reports from students who have fallen prey to these scams. Please be wary of any unsolicited emails purporting to offer work or job opportunities, as they are likely attempts to steal either personal or banking information.
How can I recognize a job scam?
If the email offers something that sounds too good to be true, it probably is! The big tip-off? These messages commonly offer $200-$400 per week with bonuses for just a few hours of remote work.
Other warning signs:
- Statements such as “Our agents will contact you with instructions.”
- Offers to send you a check in exchange for your bank account information for “future direct deposit.”
- Offers to reimburse you if you send money to the “employer.”
- Instructions to switch to your personal email account for future correspondence.
- Offers for Personal Assistant positions or work with duties such as “Running personal errands.”
- Messages may come from multiple non-descript Gmail or other free email services.
- You received the message unsolicited.
What can I do if I receive these emails?
If you receive one of these messages, simply ignore or delete it, as it does not typically contain malware or harmful files if opened. You can also report it to LTS Information Security by forwarding the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do your research. If you receive a message you think may be legitimate, investigate the company mentioned in the email. Compare the email’s contact information to their official online presence as a start, and consider contacting the job placement office at the company. Legitimate employment opportunities typically have some connection to secure and organized recruitment processes of the organization.
If you have any question about an email’s legitimacy or whether it poses a threat, contact LTS Help Desk at 610-758-4357 or LTS Information Security at 610-758-3838.
Bruce M. Taggart, Ph.D.
Vice Provost, Library and Technology Services
Interim Chief Information Security Officer