On behalf of Library and Technology Services, I'd like to welcome all new and returning faculty, staff, and students to the spring 2023 semester.
Read on for some information about newly improved study spaces, new staff, upcoming events, and a few reminders of the many resources and services that are available to you.
- Come join the LTS CIRCLE, our new Community & Inclusion Resource Center: a Library for Everyone, just off the FML atrium, next to The Grind.
- Welcome to Ryan Bradley, Lehigh’s new Director of Research Computing. Read about Ryan and his role in supporting faculty research on LTS News.
- Visit our Library Guide on NIH Data Management Plans to learn more about NIH’s new Data Management and Sharing Policy which changes the requirements for all proposals submitted to NIH on or after January 25, 2023.
- Register for LTS workshops in the Spring 2023 Seminar Series. We offer over three dozen seminars highlighting Lehigh tools, software, and services designed that can help you work more efficiently and maximize your productivity in your research, in the classroom, or in the office.
- Meet the new Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL) Faculty Fellows for Spring 2023.
- Come to Linderman to see the new Lehigh Libraries Special Collections exhibit, Manufacturing a Narrative about Work: Labor Fiction Inspired by the Industrial Age, which features works inspired by true stories, some of regional interest and some by well-known authors like John Steinbeck and Jack London.
- Explore new library resources including MEDLINE Ultimate, a comprehensive health and medical research database; Foreign Policy, a global affairs magazine; and our latest OverDrive Collections in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, Native American Heritage Month, and Black Futures.
- Get easy access to virtual software right in your web browser, with all the advantages of a full virtual desktop. LTS now offers all virtual software exclusively through LUapps, powered by Amazon Web Services (AWS), which replaces the legacy Citrix-based LUapps. In January, we launched the Administrative & Banner experience. Get started today!
- Save the date for the Grand Opening of the LTS CIRCLE on Feb. 15 at 6:00 p.m., with panel discussions in collaboration with the Zoellner Arts Center’s Traveling While Black event.
- Look for an invitation soon to “Thinking through Technology,” a series of campus-wide discussions on how Generative AI systems like ChatGPT are impacting how we teach, learn, research, and work.
- Mark your calendars: The 2023 CITL Symposium on Teaching and Learning will be held on April 11-12. Watch for details in the coming weeks.
- Stay tuned for an Open House for CITL’s new Student Developer Lab, a dedicated space for Lehigh students interested in the design and development of interactive and game-based experiences, applications, and assets, located in the Computing Center. Students will have the opportunity to build and test in all aspects of both immersive 3D as well as 2D environments -- from virtual reality to mobile gaming to 3D modeling.
What’s open when?
LTS provides the Lehigh community with study areas, access to resources, and experts ready to help. Fairchild-Martindale Library (FML) and Linderman Library hours (Lehigh ID tap entry is required after 9:00PM).
- Monday-Thursday: 7:45AM - 2AM (both libraries)
- Friday: FML: 7:45AM - 12AM; Linderman: 7:45AM - 10PM
- Saturday: FML: 9AM - 12AM; Linderman: 9AM - 10PM
- Sunday: 9AM - 2AM (both libraries)
The Computing Center is open 24/7, with Lehigh ID tap entry required after 6 PM, Monday-Friday, and all day on weekends.
View Library hours on the Lehigh Libraries & Computing Center Calendar.
View Digital Media Studio hours on the Digital Media Studio Calendar.
The Grind @ FML maintains its regular hours of operation, while Lucy's Cafe in Linderman Library will reopen in February with an expanded footprint and more food offerings. Please check the Lehigh Dining transition webpage for details.
How can we help?
As always, we are dedicated to providing innovative, state-of-the-art resources; library, teaching, and technical consultation; and expert assistance for all students, faculty, researchers, and staff.
Need help but aren’t sure where to start? Come by the LTS Help Desk in the Fairchild-Martindale Library lobby, visit help.lehigh.edu, or call 610-758-4357 (8-HELP).
Starting January 30, the LTS Help Desk will expand its hours to include more weekend and late-evening coverage. Check the LTS Desk Calendar for all of our hours.
Welcome again, and best wishes for a rewarding and successful semester.
Greg Reihman, Ph.D.
Vice Provost for Library and Technology Services